Skip to content

Out-of-Province Vehicle Inspections

A motor vehicle from outside of Alberta must pass an Alberta Out of Province Vehicle Inspection before licence plates can be issued.

The Government of Alberta may issue an exemption from an inspection if the vehicle’s history does not indicate flood, unsafe, salvage, or non-repairable and certain conditions:

This inspection is a basic safety or mechanical fitness assessment that must be performed by a certified journeyman technician who is licensed by Alberta Transportation’s Vehicle Inspection Program (VIP).

The vehicle must be maintained within Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) standards or wear tolerances in order to pass the inspection.